Movie Collectibles: useful definitions
Original Movie Posters
Original movie posters are distributed by movie studios to movie theaters to advertise a film. They are not sold directly to the public, and are supposed to be returned after film exploitation, or destroyed, creating limited supply and great interest for collectors. All our movie posters are ORIGINAL movie posters.
There are two great categories of Movie Stills:
- Lobby Cards (UK: Front of House cards) are displayed in Movie Theatre to promote the movie by featuring key scenes from the film. They are usually printed on cardstock and issued in sets of 8.
- Press Stills are taken by studio photographers during production. They may include stars or crew members, often with an information about the film or artist. They were used for public display in movie theatres, or sent along with press kits to be displayed in newspapers and magazines.
Signed Movie Memorabilia
These Autographs are movie collectibles having an authentic signature of a movie artist. Each of them is by definition, unique !
Props and Replicas
- Film props are items really used on stage by actors!
- Film replicas are accurate reproduction of a movie prop, Some are exact scale replicas, other are miniatures.
A movie script, also called screenplay, is an essential part of movie production. It describes scenes and dialogues and may give some technical direction. There are two great kinds of movie scripts:
- Original movie scripts, that were often owned by their author, a producer or the film director. These items are very rarely on sale.
- Studio copies, that are distributed to crew and actors during production. These copies are numerous and therefore, easier to find and less valuable, but are fascinating educational documents.
Storyboards and Artworks
- a Storyboard is a comic of the film that provides a visual layout of events as they are to be seen through the camera lensis . It is used in preproduction and production, and may contain scenes absent from the final cut.
- an Artwork or “Concept Art” is a preproduction research illustration that gives a visual representation of film idea, character or general atmosphere.
Pressbooks are sent by studios to medias and theatres and contains a series of info useful for film advertising (e.g. film synopsis, cast, crew, visuals…). It is very difficult to find them UNCUT!